THE ESTABLISHMENT OF GETRONAGAN SCHOOL
Patriarch Nerses Varjabetyan invites major Armenian donors to Patriarchate on 16 December 1882, for the repair of Patriarchate and establishment of Getronagan School. The first day 1450 lira are collected. The Patriarch realizes that he will not be able to continue these projects due to his sickness and before he dies, he assigns priority to the school's establishment with donation and postpones repair work at the Patriarchate.
To realize the project, Patriarch Nerses Varjabetyan Foundation is established, and A. Uncuyan, A.Çunt, M. Yeseyan, H. Hagopyan, H. Narodunkyan, A. Gülbenkyan and D. Gümüşgerdan become first managers.
In the beginig, the plan was to establish a secondary school in Ortaköy. In the beginig of 1885, upon assignment of administration of Galata property to the foundation by the Community General Commision, the first board of trustees was formed, by the agreement of both parties.
GETRONAGAN HIGH SCHOOL - THR FIRST YEARS
The school opened in 1886, with 64 students at Grade 1, and in 1891, first graduates consisted of 18 students. That year, the students were mostly from rural areas and their profile was as follows:
|Class||Number of Students||Average Age|
|3 and 4||38||18.94|
The school budget 176,376.25 kurus as expense and 61,991.125 kurus as revenue.
The school' s management was first undertaken by Minas Çeraz who organized the school' s opening, and administration and chose the first students. Three years later, William Philipin, a Swiss manager was assigned, and Krikor Markaryan became his assistant.
The next director was Harutyun Mosdicyan, who introduced changes to the education system like opening of Science and Literature departments. Mosdicyan and his collegues stayed in charge until 1896.
In September 1897, the school reopened with two classes.
In that period, Getronagan' s education program consisted of two parts: The first period for 3 years and the second period for 2 years.
|1st Teaching Staff|
|Dr. S. Hagopyan|